Friday, August 16, 2013

Up-cycling at it's best!

Years ago, when my very crafty talented aunt introduced me to paper crafts it was all about scrapbooks. I was so proud of my first finished book.  It was a masterpiece of my first child's first year and it pretty much covered everything, from conception (not exactly, lol) to 1st birthday. It took me 2 years to complete and that was in 2006! I'm sad to say that she will probably be the only child who will ever get such detailed work. My second baby's book is still a work in progress, she's now 4 (as I sadly hang my head).  Since then I have maybe completed 20-30 books and out of those, about 4 are mine. What can I say, I get carried away making gifts for everyone but myself. hehe.  Months ago, I had a fellow crafty friend show me her mini scrapbook and I couldn't believe that it was made from TOILET PAPER ROLLS! You can bet that I was on it! I may have used a few more squares each time I used the restroom and I didn't flip my lid when the girls would carelessly let the TP unroll and roll.  LOL. In no time I was ready to start!

It's up to you how many rolls you want to use, 3, 4, possibly 5? It would depend on what size ring you have.  Once you've collected your rolls and removed all the extra pieces of TP flatten it with a bone folder and then paint whatever color you desire. The only areas you really need to paint are a 1/2 to 3/4 inch perimeter on the front and back of the flattened roll and also on both inside edges of the roll.  One of the greatest things about this project is that it's a perfect way to make use of your scraps because it's so small.  You also have the option of adding an insert which gives you more sides to decorate. Make sure they are sturdier than card stock. You can up-cycle a cereal box and cover both sides with scrap-booking paper for the inserts. Don't forget that it will have to be trimmed a bit smaller so it can slide in and out easily. As for the photos, it's totally up to you how many sides you want covered with a wallet sized pic. You cannot go wrong. We all have different styles so have lots of fun with it.































No comments:

Post a Comment